Wednesday, December 20, 2006

What have I been up to????

That's a wonderful question. I've been back from my trip for almost three weeks and I haven't updated since the post about my trip. The truth is, I haven't done very much worth noting up until a few days ago.
The Saturday I came back was my host grandma's birthday and we went out to eat. On Sunday we went to Laredo. Tuesday I went to Monterrey as I do most Tuesdays for my little sister's classes.
I found that when we got back it was EXTREMELY cold. VERY VERY VERY cold. I felt like I was in an icebox. It was between 35º-50ºF. While for people up north, that's nice weather. Here, it's very cold because there's no central heat, the houses are made of stone and the floors don't have carpet. It was awful. I couldn't adjust to being cold. So I sat in my bed reading or I'd watch a movie all bundled up drinking tea. I think that week was very good for me just to relax and let my body rest and get better too.
Thursday, of the freezing cold week, was the monthly meeting of the women of the Rotary, followed by the Christmas party for the Rotary with the Men, women and children. It was nice. It was held at the bowling ally. Christmas parties here are called La Posada and it's supposed to be a night full of festivities like dancing and singing the La Posada song, but we didn't do it at this Posada, because no one wanted to. So, OK.
The next Monday I went to Laredo again to buy some warm clothes. I bought a pair of shoes that prevent my feet from getting wet (it also rains a lot here in the winter), a pair of slippers, 2 pairs of slipper socks and leggings to wear under my pants. Since I've gotten home, I have only used my slipper socks because it's been nice. I used the shoes because they're a little more fashionable than my polka-dotted Vans (haha). It's been in the 60s and 70s. So, I'm not in the fetal position all day trying to warm myself.
I went to Monterrey again on Tuesday and it was cool this time because we took a different way out of Monterrey. We too the pay way around Monterrey, my host mom doesn't like to sit in the traffic for an hour to get out of the city, so we took the pay way on the outskirts and it was beautiful, the lights and the hills and the mountains. It was just pretty. So that was a cool way to go home. Plus it only takes 20 minutes. :)
Thursday was La Posada of my exercise class. This was very cool. I like all the people in my class. They're so fun. We got together to eat, instead of exercise, haha. They asked me if I wanted something to drink. I said Diet Coke and they said they didn't have any, only regular (I thought that was weird) and then I said water. Then they told me there was no pure water filter in the building, so I settled on Squirt. It was a lot of fun to hang out with everyone. We sang with the Karaoke Machine and that helped my Spanish a lot I think, reading and singing fast. The police made a few appearances (because the police in this town have nothing better to do) and they asked me to sing a song in English. I told them they had no idea what they were getting themselves into by asking me that. So I enlightened the group with "My Heart Will Go On" they enjoyed it.


These are the cool people from my aerobics class.

This past weekend wasn't all that eventful. I went out Friday night but only for an hour and a half. Saturday, I was delighted to turn on the TV and see a Movie that I liked (and in Spanish!) followed by another movie I liked, followed by another one. I was thrilled. I was supposed to go out with friends, but then one didn't come to Sabinas from Monterrey and the other two were going with their boyfriends. So I watched Pretty Women in Spanish!
Sunday I went to church with my family, then to lunch, then went to Martin's parent's house and hung out there. I then went home to finish packing a box to send on Monday when I went to Laredo again.
Monday, I woke up at 5:45 to be on the road by 6. The border is crazy this time of year. We arrived to the line at the border at 7:30 waited a little over an hour; I've never had to wait that long before. However, if we would have arrived at the border at 9 a.m. we would have waited about 4 hours and it gets longer. I had an interesting day in Laredo. My host mom and her parents went. We went to the brother's house and dropped off my grandparents and then my host mom and I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some stuff to send to Mariel and ate breakfast at the McDonalds there. Then we went to the post office and waited in the massive line for 45 minutes. After that, we went to the mall to find a dress for me for New Year's Eve. I found a black number and I will post pictures of it New Year's Eve. I was then dropped off at Target because my host mom had a few errands to run. I was instructed to take the bus back to the mall at 3:30. I had 2 hours. So I buy all the things I need at Target and then go to the bus stop. I ask which bus I need to take and I'm told number 4. So I get on number 4 and it's crowded and after I'm on the bus for 20 minutes, we pass the mall. I ask why and they tell me oh, this bus doesn't go to the mall, I need to go to the central and take another bus to the mall. That's all fine and dandy, but I'm on a time crunch, with no cell phone and no way to get a hold of anyone when I'm late. So I'm on the bus for another half hour. We get to the Centro I board another bus and 10 minutes later I'm at the mall. It's almost 4. Luckily, my host mom was late too. She came at 4:30.
Tuesday night was La Posada of my host father's business. It was held in a BIG barn/shed thing. The food was good and I whipped everyone I played in air hockey. The children were hitting the piñata and I had the honor of the last hit and all the candy falling out. I, however, did not dive in for the candy.

Here's a list of movies I've watched in the past 3 weeks
1. Titanic
2. Hitch
3. The Lake House
4. The Princess Diaries 2
5. Chasing Papi
6. She's the Man
7. On the Line
8. This Time Around
9. Pretty Woman
10. Spiderman 2
11. The Notebook

Christmas should be pretty eventful. I'm finishing up a painting this week and I need to make cookies, they've been requested. I'm excited about Christmas as New Year's there's a hoppin' fiesta at the Disco and that's why I needed the Spiffy dress.
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!!

1 comment:

adventures in Deutschland! said...

wow, you have me beat! i´ve only watched 4 movies since i´ve been here! -britt