Saturday, April 28, 2007

Normal Life

I had to get back to life as normal after my vacation. (Imagine, I had two 10-day vacations within 30 days...) School went on as normal. On Wednesday night I played in a basketball game for my school. I scored two of six points, fouled once and was fouled four times. I was even hit in the face again.
Thursday was awesome. The Rotary club has an annual softball game with the Lions club. I was absolutely tickled by the idea of all the Rotarians running around chasing and catching a softball (especially my first host dad, who's like a cowboy!).They invited Lieke and me to play, but I really sucked it up, but Lieke was good. So I handed my glove to my first host dad and went up and sat by the very small cheering section. The Lions had a bigger section than the Rotary did. Quite frankly, the Lions were a lot better than the Rotarians. It was fun to watch.
Friday I went with my friend Vanessa to a 15 party. While I think these parties are way over the top they are like parties for little kids. A lot of little kids were at this party, so Lieke, Vanessa and I went to eat tacos and talk.
Saturday I woke up late, watched a movie, ate lunch with my family, then slept the entire afternoon. (A very productive day!) Friday was Lieke's host Mom's birthday so we celebrated Saturday with her family. I made the quesadillas (yes, I cooked!) and chatted with everyone. They made tons of food and it was all good: Carne Asada, Frijoles a la charra (refried bean soup), Cabrito, Quesadillas, salad and so on. It's very difficult for me to eat cabrito. I've only eaten twice while I've been here (I was sick both times, which makes it harder to eat) and it's something special to the north of Mexico (specifically Monterrey). Cabrito is a lamb that is between 55 and 75 days old. Then it is slaughtered for us to eat. I'll take pictures one day of what it looks like. So anyway, back to the point. The way the cooked the cabrito was in a pot and when I went to get some of the meat there was the little lamb's head with it's little tongue sticking out. The poor thing!
After the birthday party Lieke and I went to the disco and we saw our friends and it was a good time.
Sunday I slept late and then didn't do too much the rest of the day either. Yet another very productive day.
This week of school was ok, nothing too special happened. I went to Laredo on Tuesday.
On Thursday there was a Lottery for the Rotary Club. Its direct translation is Lottery, but it's more like BINGO with pictures. It was a fundraiser for a room at the hospital. A lot of people came and it was a lot of work to be there from 3:30 to almost 9. I guess it was successful. Then I can't compare it with other years either. It was a lot of fun, especially to see all the old ladies get their undies in a bunch when there was a tie or confusion.



Friday I went to Monterrey with Lieke. We went to the market and looked around. Then we went to see the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. AWESOME! After the movie we each had McFlurries. They were very good. We contemplated going back and getting second ones. But then we'd probably look pretty desperate. So we just went back to Jean and Liliana's house. At night we went to Nachos and Gangas.
Saturday we went back to Sabians. The traffic was awful in Monterrey! It took us longer to go 20 KM from the house to the highway back to Sabinas than the 80 KM on the highway to Sabinas. I got home and made cookies for my family and at night I went out with my host sister and her friends and Lieke. We went to the disco and it was a good time.
Sunday I was supposed to change families. Therefore I was going to spend all day packing. However, I spent most of the day watching TV and doing nothing.


My friend Ricky and me at the disco.


Me, Lieke and Vanessa (No Lieke is not mean!) after the 15 party.

Monday I packed up my stuff and moved houses. I have accumulated a lot of stuff! Oh well. I have moved about 7 blocks from my last house. I'm not sure about all the details of the family. I know them and they're very nice. I'm sharing a room with the 12 year old girl. Since I've never really shared a room before, this should be an interesting experience for me.
Monday was a holiday called "El Día del Niño" (The day of the child). Some schools don't have classes, but some do. My school had classes, but I didn't go because I changed houses.
Monday was also the first time that Lieke and I were invited over to a Rotarian's house for lunch. She made us chicken and mole and rice, which is a very typical Mexican dish. It was very good. The family we went to has three children: Andrea 9, Nello 8, and Fatima 1. It was very fun to get to know them. Since it was also a holiday they were going to a party and invited us to go.
The party turned out to be different than what I thought it was going to be. Lieke and I went in the pool and threw kids around for a little bit, then got out and hung out with all the moms. One woman from my aerobics class was there. It was a lot of fun we were there from 5 to 11. Very interesting. It was really cute, all the little girls and moms danced with Lieke and me. It was interesting to say the least, but very fun. At night there was a nearly full moon and it was absolutely beautiful.


A group of us from the party.


Lieke and Me with Andrea and Fatima.


and with Nello.


Us dancing with the children. Please refrain from comments on my dancing.

Tuesday was Labor Day so there were no classes so I spent the day preparing for my trip. At night I made dinner. Are we impressed?? I should think so. It was just spaghetti though. I spent the majority of today preparing for my trip. I also have to make a poster about my year to showcase at the conference this weekend. I have yet to start.


We had a Rotary meeting today to celebrate Mother's day and for the montly meeting. I think this photo kind of looks like a mug shot, but it's the best one I have. That's a scary thought!

Thursday I'm leaving for another two-week trip. I'm actually going out where I went in the beginning of April. We leave Thursday for Tampico for the Rotary District conference and we'll be there until Sunday morning at which point we leave for the trip. I'm so excited for this trip! It's so exciting! I've been to more places in Mexico than most of the Mexicans. On this trip I'll be going to Veracruz, Chiapas, Yucatan, Cancun, Tabasco and then the return. It's crazy far to go in a bus, but it will be fun. I'll post a map of where I went when I get back.

No comments: