Friday, January 18, 2008

GVSU: Semester 2

I have started my second semester at Grand Valley State University. So far, so good. I’ve been very excited to be back and it’s nice to be in different classes. I like seeing old friends and getting back into a routine.
I’m taking two Advertising and Public Relations classes, A Middle Eastern studies, math and a general education writing class.
For my APR classes one is based on technology and the other research. The technology class meets Mondays and Wednesdays for an hour and 15 minutes. It’s in a computer lab. For the first few weeks we’re working on PhotoShop so I’m a little bored, but soon we’re getting into programs that I’m not familiar with.
My research class will be a lot of work and at times really dry and boring. The professor told me herself. It should be good because this class will help me with all the research techniques that could be useful in other classes as well.
Intro to the Middle East is very interesting as well. It’s a subject that I feel really ignorant about and something that I should really know about. I’ve learned a lot already. It’s a weird mix of people in the class, some are very conservative, some are very liberal and some have heritage from the Middle East or are migrants themselves of the area. It makes for some good discussion.
My math class is relatively easy. I’ve had all of it before; it’s just a matter of remembering it. My professor’s a little weird, but I can deal with that and I sit next to some very interesting girls.
I’m trying to have the best attitude possible for my writing class. I missed being exempt by one point on my ACT and I feel like I’m a better writer than most in the class. I have to be in there, I have no choice. It will be a lot of work at times. The end result will be three eight-page papers in a portfolio that will be reviewed by a panel of faculty and my grade will be determined.
I really like my schedule this year. I have one class from 3-4:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 10-11 and 1-6 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have no classes on Fridays and I’m adjusting to that. It’s weird to have a lot of free time. My guess is it won’t be as much free time when the semester gets into full swing and I’ll have a lot more homework and things to do. I quit my job at the school newspaper it wasn’t what I wanted. I was looking for a job and found a great one, but that seems to have been nipped in the bud. So the search continues.
The other day I bought a group exercise pass for the rec center at school. With this pass, I can attend as many exercise classes as I want. I will be taking advantage of this. I went to a Pilates class the other night with one of my friends, it was a blast.
Monday night I went to a Rotary club meetind in Grand Haven. It was a night meeting with a dinner and I was so happy not to be eating school food! On Wednesday I gave my Mexico presentation to the Allendale Rotary Club. It was very exciting to meet people from Allendale. Sometimes, I feel very secluded because I never leave the University!
Thursday night, for the first time in years, I attended a basketball game of a school where I go. Not to take photos, not to play in the band, not because I had to be there, but because I wanted to go with a friend. It was fun.
I have some very exciting weekends coming up. Grandma Newton will be celebrating 80 years of life and we will have a party. Then the first two weekends in February I’ll be going to conferences. I’m so excited!
It's snowing right now, and it's crazy. I just ventured out to the cafeteria! It's supposed to get a lot colder in a few days!

1 comment:

E.M. Herbert said...

Jane! What's going on in your life? I was just thinking about you today and thought I'd drop you a line. You're a great writer! You should definitely keep up with your blog so your fan club can keep up with your life. I hope you're doing well.