Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Update 1 of Many!

HOLA. I'm sorry it's been a while since I last updated. My last week of school was very uneventful. Nothing really happened.
Tuesday I went to Monterrey with my family. We took the two kids to the dentist, then the kids and my host dad and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and then met up with my host mom's parents to see the end of the Miss Universe contest (way to go Japan and nice going USA with slipping) and then had TACOS :)
Thursday Lieke came with Ikumi from Japan and she was extremely excited to see me (it's nice to be liked :)) After two hours of school Lieke, Ikumi and I went to a Japanese factory that makes car parts. I didn't know that it was here in Sabinas. Ten Japonese people work there and Lieke's host parents wanted Ikumi to meet them. It was fun to hear Ikumi talk in Japonese. I happily showed off my talents of counting to ten. After the factory visit we went to the store with thbe intent to make a lunch of Japonese and Dutch food. Ikumi's part was sushi, but it's very difficult to find the things needed for sushi in Mexico, let alone in a little town. So, our sushi was rice, avacado, cream chese, mushrooms, shrimp, crab all inside a piece of spinach. Not too bad it I do say so myself. Lieke made a potato, carrot, onion mixture it was pretty good. After lunch I made peanut butter cookies. Thursday night was my last Rotary meeting with the couples. It was fun and everyone seemed very interested in Ikumi.
Friday was my last day of school. It went fairly well. Lieke and I gave presentations to everyone and ate cake and it was pretty much a party the entire day of school.









After school I invited girls over to my house to watch a movie. So girls came over and we started to watch a movie and I asked the caretaker of my house to cut up some fruit for us. She said she would do it and call me when it was ready. About half way through the movie she called us up and had made us tostadas (tortilla with chicken, tomato, cheese and avacado), a fruit cocktail and pop with tables and chairs and everything. It was awesome and a nice surprise. Way above and beyond what I expected.
In the afternoon I went to Monterrey and met Sietke at the bus station and from there Jean picked us up and went back to the house. I was surprised to find pancakes already made for us for the whole weekend. (They take such good care of us!) Sietke and I went to look for a few things and ended up not finding anything we went to look for and at night we went to a cool bar called UMA and we met up with Elin there too.
Elin, Sietke and me in UMA

Saturday Ikumi and Lieke joined us in Monterrey. We slept all morning and in the afternoon we went to Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (for Jeremie and me the third time, the second time for Ikumi and the first time for Lieke and Sietke) and I think I could probably see it again.
At night Sietke, Jeremie, Lieke, Ikumi and I went out and had a good time at a disco, until about 1 a.m. when it got strange, then we went out for tacos and got ripped off in the taxi on the way home.


The girls


Ikumi can put her entire fist in her mouth


As always, Tacos afterwards

Sunday I came back to Sabinas in the afternoon with Jeremie from France. Our plans for the next few days: Grey's Anatomy. We arrived in Sabinas and then went shopping to buy ingredients for milkshake (they turned out wonderfully) and then rented th first season of Grey's Anatomy. We finished all 9 shows by Saturday afternoon and then went to rent the second season. But we had problems. Since the first season is so short you can rent it for two days for 20 pesos (about $2). The second season is longer and I had to rent it for five days for 100 pesos ($10). I tried to talk my way into two days for 40 pesos, but it didn't work, this lady wouldn't hear of it. So then when Jeremie comes up to the counter with her, she asks him...
(this conversation is in Spanish)
Lady: Where are you from?
Jeremie: France
Lady: Really??!! Do you speak French?
Jeremie: Well, Yes...
Lady: And you, where are you from?
Me: The United States.
Lady: Do you speak any other language than English?
Me: Yes, Spanish (Because I had tried to convice her in Spanish)
Then, I asked her again if I could rent the second season for two days and 40 pesos and she told me no again. So we rented a different movie and then went back to the house.
Jeremie left Tuesday morning.
More coming soon...:)

No comments: