Wednesday, October 08, 2008

My last week in Mexico

Tuesday
I had a Spanish grammar test today. After my test we had a party with my Spanish conversation class’s intercambio or exchange class. All month long we have been going to a class with Mexicans who are learning English and we spend half the hour practicing English and the other half in Spanish. For our last intercambio we had a party where we all brought food. I brought Oreos and others brought flan, sandwiches, chips, and drinks. Today we had a double history class. We spent two hours in the classroom, as always, we broke for lunch, and then went to a museum about the history of Mexico. It was interesting, but long.
Jessie hadn’t been feeling very well and so Tuesday she caved in and went to the doctor and was admitted into the hospital. I spent the night with her. I didn’t sleep very well because it was an old hospital with very thin doors to the outside. Right outside of the hospital was bar where it was Ladies’ Night. So around from 1 to 4 a.m. people were leaving the bar and they weren’t really quiet about it. The nurse also came in several times, and she wasn’t really quiet either.

Wednesday
Today was our last day of classes. First I had to give a presentation on anything I wanted. So I gave it on the differences between public high school education in Mexico and the United States. It wasn’t a very fair comparison because I didn’t have anything good to say. I have a lot of good things to say about the private education system in Mexico, but I never went through that system, I also never went through the private school system in the United States. So I couldn’t make that comparison.
After our history class we had a going away lunch where my Señora made lasagna.
Wednesday night I went out to eat for dessert with Teryn and Kimberly. We had crepes filled with Nutella and ice cream. They were delectable.


Our crepes came with star-shaped fruit!

After dessert I went out dancing with some of my friends from the program. We went to a place where they play only Mexican music. One of my favorite things in the world is to dance to Mexican couples music. I danced with two guys. The first one had to leave in the middle of the first dance because his friends were fighting and they were asked to leave they club. The second guy didn’t really know how to dance and I feel like I went around in circles for a half hour while we were dancing.
I spent Wednesday with Jessie in the hospital again.

Thursday
Since I saw the movie Arráncame la Vida last Saturday, I’ve wanted to see it again, just so I could understand it better. I convinced Teryn to go see it with me. She understands Spanish really well. I conned her into seeing it with my by buying her ice cream. Kimberly came with us, but she saw a different movie in English. After the movie, the three of us went to the Mega (like a Wal-Mart) to buy things for our upcoming trip. I bought a pillow, which will prove to be the best $5 spent.
Kimberly went home after that and Teryn and I went out to dinner. We went to Santo Café, a restaurant with great, inexpensive food. I had a half-order of spaghetti with veggies and a strawberry-banana smoothie. My tab came to $5.30. This place has the best smoothies I’ve ever had. It has the right amount of thickness. If I could give out a best smoothie award, I would give it to them.


And the best smoothie award goes to.....Santo Café!

Friday
Today I woke up and was thrilled to see that we were eating French Toast for breakfast. It’s so good, I don’t know what my Señora does to it, but it’s just so delicious. I met Teryn and Kimberly for a light snack at 11:30. We went to a café that has Blue Bunny ice cream or “Blue Buunny” as it says on the menu. Teryn is from Orange City, Iowa so Blue Bunny is close to her heart and she knows what it is. The ice cream was expensive ($1.20 for a tiny scoop) and not very good. I guess it just had to travel too far to get there. It was entertaining to eat Blue Bunny ice cream with someone who knows what Blue Bunny is.
For lunch we ate tacos, it was great for my last meal in Mexico.


Yummy, frosty strawberry Blue Buunny Ice Cream

I spent the afternoon packing. I had extra space in my suitcase so I sold it for Barritas. Barritas are these incredibly delicious, not-entirely-good-for-you snack bars that are filled with strawberries or pineapple. I love the strawberry ones, so Megan bought me a 12-pack box of strawberry Barritas for carrying her books in my suitcase. (For the record, I didn’t advertise my extra space, and she offered the Barritas as an exchange.)
I had my last flour tortilla with peanut butter and maple syrup with Emily, the semester student who lived with us. Emily goes to the same school as Teryn and is from the Des Moines area. Almost every night we watch Grey’s Anatomy and then eat flour tortillas with peanut butter and syrup.
It was a beautiful night in Guanajuato. It was windy and warm. Our Señor and Señora drove us to the bus station. We waited for a long time for our bus to come. I was very sad to leave Mexico, but very excited for Peru.

1 comment:

Teryn said...

Con artist. I hope no one stalks me now that they know where I live...even though I won't be there for awhile...whatever. See you later!