Cath took me to the Wellington Market where she purchased a few items. She said that Wellington has a lot of charity shops. She sees it as another way of recycling. Each shop has a different purpose like the Children's Hospice and the Salvation Army and sell inexpensive used clothes, furniture, and household items. It seems to work and that way people can live very modestly, but have everything they need.
Then Gary, Cath, and I went to see the place where the Industrial Revolution started. This iron bridge was designed in 1775 and built in 1779.
The iron bridge in Ironbridge (coincidentally!).
Then Cath and I ventured up and saw some Roman ruins from afar.
We had planned to go to Shrewsbury and see the shops, but Attingham Hall Mansion (With the National Trust) caught our fancy and we went inside. It had a garden and then the Mansion and I felt like I was Elizabeth Bennet walking in the countryside to my house where, inevidably, Mr. Darcy would be waiting for me. The mansion was amazing and LARGE. you it was fantastic and amazing to see how the other side lived back then. Also, now there's electricity in the house. Somehow, I don't think they had that back then! I wasn't allowed to take pictures, but I can assure it is worth the stop if you're in the area. The mansion is under 'rejuvenation' andto become more historically accurate. They are getting new curtains and carpets and finidng historically correct match is a challenge. It is purely run by volunteers, something I found interesting; however, some of the volunteers were a little peculiar but knowlegeable.
Then we went to the grocery store to buy things for dinner tonight (I made guacamole!) and through my keen observing I noticed a few things about grocery stores in the UK.
1. Fair Trade products are readily available not only in grocery stores, but in coffee shops and restaurants. From sugar to all types of fruits and veggies to coffees and teas, it's available and only costs a little more than non-fair trade items.
2. Products come in much smaller packaging. I don't think you're getting less, it's just more efficient packaging. I remember when I was sick in February and I bought a bottle of cough stuff and I opened the box and half of it was nothing and the other half was the bottle. Then I opened the bottle and it was about a quarter filled with the pills. I thought what a waste of resources! Anyway, point being, that is less likely to happen here.
3. They offer incentives to bring your own bag. You get shopping vouchers after you bring one so many times and that equals money off a purchase at some point. Soon, they will start charging if you don't bring your own bag.
4. Organic foods are mixed in with the non-organic alternatives and are comparable in price. By integrating these items, I think it makes the consumers more aware of their food choices.
5. Many products have the same logos and are the same products, but is a different brand. For example, potato chips. It has the same logo as Lays, but its name is 'Walker' much like in Mexico and South America is 'Sabritos'. Same exact product just different name. Along those lines, there are different flavors of chips over here, like salt and vinegar and in Latin America they have tomato and chile flavor. On a related note, Heinz makes a lot of products here that they don't make in the United States, like canned baked beans and spaghetti-os (however, they aren't called Spaghetti-o's here).
6. Not only do they encourage recycling, they encourage re-using before recycling. Some things say 'reuse before recycle.' I find this nice and different and I wish more places in the United States did this.
Tonight we had a dinner party with two couples who are from Virginia and two friends of Gary and Cath from Wellington. I made guacamole for a starter and then we had Shepherds Pie (lamb and veggies with potatoes and carrots on top) and then fruit and chocolate fondue for dessert! It was so delicious!
My masterpiece and me!
Cath in front of her masterpieces: Shepherd's Pie!
Cath, Me, and Gary April 30, 2009
Tomorrow I leave for Glasgow, Scotland where I'll see where my Mom spent her exchange year and meet her host family and friends.
On a totally unrelated note. My baby brother turns 19 today. I'd like to say I'm feeling old, but I'm not. My parents might be.
On a semi-related note. Good luck to my Dad as he has surgery early Friday morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment