Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A weekend with Kathi!

I left Lieke´s and went to see Kathi in Hagen, Germany, about a three hour train ride from Breda with one train change. Kathi was also an exchange student in Mexico with me, however, she lived in a different area than I did.
That night we went out with a few of her friends and it was quite interesting. Two of them were learning English and Spanish, but did not speak either very well, but everything was communicated just fine. Music was playing on the computer and I sang a line of a song and then I said´´Oh man, I have a terrible voice´´ and one of the girls responded ´´It´s ok, you speak English´´
All righty then...
We went to an interesting disco. We paid 8€ to get in and then we were given a card and any drinks we wanted were put on the card and when you left at the end of the night you turned the card in a paid (a very clever way to get people to drink more than they had planned on drinking). This disco also had different dance floors like Hip-Hop, Latin, and Rap so you could dance to whatever you liked. We got to sample everything. Some of the more interesting things we saw was an old guy (in his 70s) dancing and trying to dance with young girls and a guy collecting glasses on a tray...without a shirt on, it was really random because there were several guys doing the same thing, he was the only one without his shirt on.
The next day Kathi and I visited Köln. Köln has a very old cathedral and we walked all the way to the top, about 457 stairs.




It was difficult because the up stairs were the same as the down stairs. So it made things crowded and at times not very safe. I thought to myself ´´I hope no one falls or there´s not a fire´´ I don´t know what you could do if something like that happened.


I guess Michael Jackson felt a need to sign his name when he visited the cathedral.


We had traditional Bratwurst and fries and beer for lunch. Very German. The beer was brewed in Köln and from a keg at the restaurant, making it cheaper than a soda pop. I had never seen a place were beer was cheaper than pop.
In the evening we went to her aunt and uncle´s house to celebrate her cousin´s birthday. We had homemade pizza and is was yummy!
Sunday Kathi´s mom took her and I to a castle and it was rainy....typical German weather. THe castle was cool because it was built in the 1600s, whereas the castles I visited in the UK were built in the 1200s, more or less.





Then we went out for lunch with her dad and brother. We had typical German food. It was delicious. Then, of course, we went and had ice cream before I caught a train to Hamburg.


No comments: