Saturday, November 18, 2006

Muchos vaqueros y overdue update

I'm very very very very sorry that I have not updated in a while. I've been a little preoccupied. Last weekend was great! I had so much fun. Friday night Lieke, Lieke's little sister Ana Laura and I went with a family friend Javier to Lampazos. We stayed at Lieke's host dad's (Adolfo) house. The house is amazing. Adolfo's great grandfather came to Lampazos from Italy and built a house that looks like his house in Italy. So you can just imagine how fantastic it is.
The Cabalgata was very fun. 2,500 cowboys gathering for the sake of riding a horse 25 kilometers. I only rode a horse for about 5, but Lieke rode for all 25 and her legs hurt a lot! It was one of the most Mexican things I have ever seen. Men (and women) in jeans and a button-up collared shirt with a sombrero (cowboy hat) drinking tequila or beer. It was great. Since there are no bathrooms on the trail, if a man had to pee he'd pull his horse over and pee on a cactus (instead of peeing on a tree). It was a lot of fun. After the trail was over we went to the local park to watch a Rodeo.


Lieke and I are ready to take on those horses.


It was a BIG horse. The guy is Javier.

At night we just went around and around and around in Lampazos.


We took a break from going around and around and around and the dog is licking my foot.

Sunday we went from Lampazos to Monterrey to another Rodeo that was being put on by the exchange student from France's Rotary club. After that a group of us went to see a movie and then Lieke and I went to spend the night at our friend from Sweden's house. Monday morning I didn't feel the greatest so I just stayed at her house while they went to school. Later in the afternoon I went to Jean and Liliana's house because I was bored at her house (the internet was slow and the TV didn't work) so I had a very good day at their house. I figured out I had an eye infection from all the dust/dirt this weekend. I came home that night with my host dad. I was supposed to stay in Monterrey until Tuesday.
The rest of the week is really a blur for me because I felt so terrible. On Thursday I went to Laredo but when I got there I felt so terrible I went to my mom's brother's house there and slept the whole time. I slept the whole way back and I've been so stubborn and refusing to go to the doctor. On Friday I was in the hospital for 4 hours to pump fluids in me and get me ready for my two-week trip on Saturday. The diagnosis: gastritis. I have a lot of acid in my stomach that belongs in the bottom of my stomach but is now at the top. I am now on a pretty strict diet for the next 2-3 weeks. It's pretty inconvenient considering I'll be on a trip. There are TONS of things I can't eat and all the things I like or on the CAN'T eat list. So, I'm adjusting. I'm bringing cereal and apples on the trip so I can eat a little something.
I felt a million times better and I've had a few ups and downs since yesterday. I was supposed to leave for my trip at 10 this morning on a bus to Monterrey and then catch a bus to Reynosa. However I felt terrible this morning because I didn't eat soon enough and so my host mom called the leader of the group and she's letting my host parents drop me off at 1a.m. in Monterrey with the bus with all the other exchange students. I'm so excited for this trip. I've been catered to for the past two days! I don't know what I’ll do if I'm on my own!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone!!! I'll have lots of pictures and a HUGE update in 2 weeks. If I get a chance I'll post something while I'm on the trip.

2 comments:

E.M. Herbert said...

YAY!!! An update!!! I really hope you're feeling better soon and are able to enjoy your trip. You're in my prayers.

Mike said...

Jane! I'm in Galena, though it's really weird w/o you and cody... Happy Thanksgiving and hope you feel better and hope you have a GREAT trip (can't wait for pictures...).