My week after Christmas was great. Most of my host dad's family stayed around town until Friday so I hung out with my cousins a little bit. I made scotcheroos (yummy!) for the Rotary meeting on Thursday evening. I made two pans and one was left over. Luckily I was not in my house all day Friday. I think they all would have been gone.
Friday I went to Monterrey so I wouldn't spend the whole day at my house. I met up with my friend Jeremy from France, Lieke, Linda (a girl from Sweden, she's not Rotary, but a different youth exchange program) and Jeremy's host brother. We saw a movie "A Night in the Museum" (very good, highly recommended). At night we went out to a bar called Nachos and Gangas. Very cool place, very chill and a nice atmosphere with Jeremy's host brother and a few of his friends and a girl from France studying in Monterrey semester. I liked it a lot, there was a cool band playing and all the music was in English and I knew most of the songs, which doesn't help my Spanish too much. We were dancing and singing and it was a great time. I was a little obnoxious (if you can believe that) and I shouted some of the song lyrics out and was invited up to sing. I said no, but was dragged up and I did sing, but not very well. In reality, I only knew that part of the song and not the other part. Oh well, not important. It was a very cool night.

From left to right: Linda, Jeremy, Liliana, ME!, Jean (like John), Lieke, Rodolfo (Jeremy's host brother), and Anne Laure from France. This was taken before we left to go out. Jean and Liliana are our youth chair people and they take good care of us. It's like a hotel and restaurant in one.
These are from the bar.

The poor people in the bar heard me sing...

Mauricio, Rodolofo, Anne Laure, Rolondo, Linda, ME!, and Lieke

4 blondies and the singer of the band.
Linda and Jeremy came back to Sabinas with Lieke and me on Saturday to spend New Year's with us. Saturday night I made pizza for the first time. It was an interesting experience to say the least. It tasted very good (I have to say that because I made it and you have to like what you make) and the four of us enjoyed the rest of the schotcheroos. :)

My pizza creation! Complete with crust, sauce, green pepper, onion, salami and cheese!
New Year's was so much fun. I had my hair dried and styled by a stylist, but you wouldn't have known it by the time I got to the dance, it had all fallen. So I had to redo it before I went to the dance. The most important thing was the dance was awesome. I had a blast. It was formal and not so formal. I probably could have gotten away with not buying a new dress, but what's done is done and a lot of people were dressed up. Most of the guys were in suits and ties and girls were in dresses. Some like prom dresses. During the dance someone called out my name and I stopped and looked at her and thought "oh no, who is she??? I don't remember!"
"You're Jane, right?"--girl I don't know
"Yes"--Me
"You're going to Grand Valley State next year?"--girl I don't know
"Yes"--Me
"You met my mom the other day, that's how I know."--girl I don't know, but know her mom
"Oh ok..."--me and then we had a lovely chat. Luckily we had never met. She's going to college in Grand Rapids, but I don't remember which college.
We rang in the New Year with noisemakers and confetti and we danced until 4 a.m. at which point the disco was closing.

At the stroke of midnight.

Linda, Lieke, Jose Carlos, Alonso, ME!, and some dude I don't know.

Sampling the noisemakers
We went back to Lieke's house and Lieke's host parents had just gotten home too. So we ate and then we went to lie down and started a movie. Lieke went to the bathroom and when she came out 3 minutes later Jeremy and I were sleeping and Linda was in between. So we shut off the movie and slept until noon. We got up and I made French Toast (yummy!). Linda commented on how much I cook. I told her I don't cook that often, and I'm not that good, she just caught me on a weird weekend.
At night we went to Lieke's host dad's house in Lampazos (the one I went to back in November) for dinner. It was very nice. We had carne asada, quesadillas and guacamole. All my favorite things. Then we came home at night.
Today I spent the day in Monterrey. My host mom and I both had to go to the doctor and we went out to eat. It was a nice day. It's very cold here. My hands and feet are freezing!!!!!! That will change on Friday. I'm going to Acapulco with Lieke as well as a few other places around that area. I'm very excited. I'll try to update while I'm there.
I hope everyone had a nice New Year's and is trying to stay warm!!!!

4 comments:
We don't have to try to stay warm. It was 50 today. :)
Looks like you had an eventful New Year's.
Wow. It sounds like you had a great time. Love the pictures, especially Linda's face in the pizza picture.
My New Year's Eve was completely uneventful since I spent it on a plane over the Pacific. When we crossed over the international dateline, I held up my plastic cup of ginger ale and said "Cheers!" to the guy sitting next me. It was a couple hours before midnight back in the Central time zone.
I really like Linda's face in the pizza picture. She had weird faces all weekend. Almost every picture of her is a weird one. What did the guy do when you said "cheers"? he probably thought you were weird...
Post a Comment