Thursday, December 11, 2008

Uruguay!

Saturday, November 29th we had our last ISA excursion to Colonia, Uruguay, the city across from Buenos Aires.
I met up with Jessie and Mary Beth (Minnesota) at the subway station to arrive in Puerto Madero where we caught our ferry to Colonia. The ferry ride was three hours and we arrived in Colonia at 1 p.m. and had a city tour. It only lasted about 20 minutes, but it was helpful to know a little bit about the history of where we were.
Twenty-three Uruguay pesos is worth one U.S. dollar and seven Uruguay pesos to one Argentine peso and 3.3 Argentine pesos to one U.S. dollar. The exchange rate made my head spin because I am always thinking in U.S. dollars and paying with Argentine pesos. In Uruguay all the prices were in Uruguay pesos, I was paying with Argentine pesos, and trying to figure out how much it cost in U.S. dollars.
After the city tour Teryn and I waited on a corner while Mary Beth and Jessie (Kentucky) to go get money. Teryn and I were waiting when all of a sudden we hear a man crying. Well, he wasn’t just crying, he was wailing and sobbing while embracing another man who was doing the same that. We felt really awkward seeing/hearing this, so we moved out of sight.
Then, when the four of us went out for lunch, one of the crying, sobbing, wailing men came in the restaurant. I think he worked there.
After lunch we went to a park and hung out for an hour. I made lists because I didn’t have the book we’re reading for class. After our park visit we went and got ice cream. It was very delicious. Then we sat on some rocks overlooking the dirty, brown river.

Here is one of the three pictures I took in Urugay.


By the time we boarded the boat to go back to Buenos Aires I hurt. It was tiring and I was exhausted. My incisions were hurting and I had a three-hour ferry ride back to Buenos Aires. I tried to sleep, but I couldn’t. Bed felt really good that night.
Sunday I spent the entire day inside. I didn’t feel well and I had a lot of homework to do. I messed around on the internet most of the day and ended up calling some people. It turned out to be a busy day, just in a different way than I had anticipated it to be.

No comments: