Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Chemnitz with Annemarie, one crazy German girl

I left Berlin on Wednesday, May 27 to go to Chemnitz, Germany to see Annemarie who was an AFS exchange student in Galena my senior year of high school.


Sorry, you're going to have to turn your heads for this one. This is the place where a fisherman found a bomb from World War II a few days ago. The whole area had to be evacuated.

We went to Dresden one day. It's about a 45 minute car ride, or so they told me. It was an adventure to get there. We left Annemarie's at 10:15 in two cars because there were 8 of us and about 15 minutes into the car ride Annemarie's little brother's friend got car sick (luckily, he wasn't in our car!) and so her parents had to go back home and get the kid changed and then go to Dresden. At about noon we were still on the road and I was wondering what that 45 minute drive was all about. At about 12:30 we arrived and I guess we took the scenic route because it only took us 45 minutes to go home.
We went to the German Hygiene museum. I found it really interesting. Only the main points were in English though, everything else was in German, which made things a little difficult to understand.
We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant and then walked around Dresden. It wasn't a very nice day, but it was fun to walk around such an old city.


Annemarie's family at the Mexican restaurant.


My Mexican meal in Dresden.









On Sunday Annemarie's dad took Annemarie, Me, and her little brothr to a castle and garden. Unfortuanately the castle was closed so we walked through this ENORMOUS garden for an hour or so.



I think my favorite part of being in Chemnitz (aside from seeing Annemarie) was the fact that they have a Mexican exchange student staying at their house this year. It was fun because Annemarie's mom would talk and talk and talk and talk and talk to me and then finish with a question and expect me to answer. Sometimes I just smiled and said yes. The really cool part of it was I could look at Annemarie to tell me what she said or this Mexican exchange student. It was quite convenient and a good way for me to practice my Spanish.

No comments: