Monday, October 16, 2006

I Love Me Some Shakira!

Well, SORRY! It's been a whole week. I'm not entirely sure what I do with my time because I don't seem to be all that productive.
Monday was my first day back at school and it was ok, nothing too special. It was also Martin's, my brother, birthday. So we went over to Martin's (my father) mother's house. We had cake (it was delicious, Milky Way!)


This is the first picture I have of me with my host family. Martin turned 10.

Tuesday I went to Monterrey and that was the same as usual. I got to have a coffee! YAY, I love coffee. And that's about all that was exciting there.
School hasn't been too exciting. On Wednesday afternoon Lieke and I watched "The Prince and Me" and then I went home and had my favorite lunch so far here. It's chicken with this chile/cream sauce, rice, and veggies. YUMMY IN MY TUMMY. It's incredible. Anyway in the afternoon we had classes. And the girl who gives me a ride to school, well, it scares me when she drives. She drives with both feet and then she had to stop and get out of the car. So she stops, puts the car in NEUTRAL and gets out. I was like. Wow, So I put the car in park. Scary. During Orientacion (which is like Consumer Ed for careers) we watched an episode of the TV show HOUSE. It was interesting and funny. It was in English with Spanish subtitles (yet again) and I understood some of the jokes that just can't be translated and funny. So I got stared at when I laughed and no one else did. And then during Bio Lab I didn't do anything because I have 3 other lab partners that like science and they think I don't understand. I guess that's true on some levels. I understand the subject; I just can't answer the questions in Spanish.
Even though last Friday was the 13th, nothing bad happened. It was a girl in my class's birthday, so when I walked in the door a girl named Rosie lip (no sound) told me that it was Selene's birthday (of course in Spanish) but I had no idea what she said. And so I responded with telling her I didn't understand by just moving my lips. Then she said it out loud and I said Happy Birthday to Selene.
After school my host mom asked me to help her make lunch (I find this hilarious considering the soup incident) and so I successfully made Mac & Cheese. It wasn't from a box, it was homemade. I think I did an good job. I ate it. Usually my host parents and I eat at 1:30, but no one was here. So I was starving. I ate the fruit plate that I had prepared myself to eat at lunch. Then at 2 no one had come home yet. So I took a nap. Then at 3 I woke up and my host family was eating lunch. So I joined them.
After lunch I prepared for the Shakira concert. I was a little worried the concert wouldn't happen due to the rain. The whole day I said, "It's not going to rain. It's not going to rain. It's not going to rain." So the entire way to Monterrey it rained. By the time we get to the stadium (it was held in an out door soccer stadium at the University of Nuevo Leon) and it's only sprinkling/drizzling. Not so bad. Martín bought us these blue half-poncho things to keep us dry, well, they didn't do very well. I was very wet for the entire concert. They did help a little though.


This is kind of what I looked like. Except my hair was wet and I was cold and at the stadium. Ok, so it's a bad set up, but you get the idea. Plus, look at the cool shirt I got!


I'm really sorry for not reporting earlier. I had this ready on Sunday but I decided to add the little part about Shakira (as in the diagram) so I could more fully exlpain myself. We couldn't bring cameras in the stadium. But a lot of people had their cameras. The stadium was cool. This is where the 1986 FIFA World Cup was held.

The concert started almost 2 hours late due to the rain. When it finally started it was amazing. There was a huge sound delay because there were TVs so the people who were far away could see better and so she would sing the words and two seconds later you could hear it, but it was cool. I understood almost everything she said and some of the songs I actually knew. But my favorite was seeing/hearing "Hips don't Lie." What a great song! Too bad Chip wasn't there!
After the concert was over at midnight, I was starving! So we went to the best taco place in Monterrey and I had a taco that had bistec steak, trompo steak, and cheese on a tortilla. YUMMY IN MY TUMMY. It was a long ride home because I was super tired and super wet. So that was uncomfortable. But at 2:15 I got to change my clothes and lay down in my bed.
On Saturday I made French toast for Melina and me. They were pretty good, if I do say so myself. Then I pretty much puttzed around. I went to my friend Chuy's birthday party. He's the one who drove me home last week in the big white van. (Oh, that's kind of like the big red van, long live JYG trips and B^3!) and he turns 15 this week. Well, his party was Saturday. So both Chuy and his mom invited me. Lieke was in Monterrey all weekend and none of my friends from school had even talked about going so I just assumed they weren't going. And Mariel's friends weren't invited to the party so my host mom took me to the party. It was 10 when I got there and by that time I was starving but the ravenous teenage boys ate all the tacos. It was also raining and my feet and shoes were getting all muddy. So I took refuge inside and ate cake and chilled with Chuy's grandma, little sister, aunt and mom. Then I talked to Chuy's brother who is in New Zealand on exchange. They wanted to test his English. It's very good, in case you're wondering.


This is Chuy and his little sister Jilian...she's just so adorable!

Sunday I woke up at 11 (sweet, right?) and ~@~I~@~ (it's too bad that an 'I' is always capitalized because then you can't emphasize it with a capital letter) made pancakes. They looked a little funny but they tasted good, which is really all that matters. We went to church and then Los Sillares for lunch. Melina and I walked to the video store to rent a movie. We finally rented a DVD and we changed the language to español. So yay! It was a movie I had seen before, but I understood most of it and that's really sweet! Lieke came over to watch the movie too and we called her dad to come pick her up at 10:30. So at midnight he comes and then I can go to bed.
So, I was very tired at school today. It was ok, just school. Nothing too special. I did have all my classes today. I made cookies for my class. They've been begging and begging for them. Everytime someone says, "Yo quiero galletas." (I want cookies) I say, "Quieres galletas, ohh pobrecito(a)" (You want cookies, ohhhh poor child) and so finally I made them. The ones I made turned out very well, but the onces Melina put on the cookie sheets were less than perfect. They tasted good, but they just looked a little weird, that's all.
So anyway today, I whipped out the cookies and everyone cheered, just because I'm that awesome. Today I am going to Monterrey, and maybe I'll get a cup of coffee! YAY

2 comments:

Justin Gehrts said...

Are people ever NOT having birthdays?

E.M. Herbert said...

Only Jane. She has to wait until 2008.