I woke up early Monday morning to run a few errands. I had to find a few more gifts for host families and I ran down to Carl Johnson’s Gallery and it was closed. So luckily his number was on the door and I called him and he came down and sold me a few reprints. That’s the benefit of a small town.
Mike came into the airport with my mom and me. We got to the airport in plenty of time. I had a backpack and two bags to check. The lady who was helping me was not so pleasant. I had two flights: one from Chicago to Houston on Continental Airlines that I booked and then from Houston to Mexico City on Continental Airlines. I asked the lady if she could check my bags all the way through to Mexico City (since it was the same airline) and she said, “No.”
“Why not?” I asked.
“Because it’s a broken flight, you didn’t book them together,” she said.
“I’m aware, but why can’t I check in and put it through to Mexico City?” I asked.
“Well, I can ask, but don’t get your hopes up,” she said.
Then she informed me that it’s $25 for the second bag. I was also aware of that, I think she wanted to prove something to me.
In the end she could put it through to Mexico. She informed me that Mexico City wouldn’t be as accommodating as she was. Maybe not, but they may be nicer.
So I said goodbye to mom and Mike and went through security. My first stop was to go and get a magazine and so I walked into the shop and was looking around and I saw some souvenirs from Chicago and I thought to myself, “good thing I bought those paintings in Galena.” With that, I remembered I forgot to grab the little brown bag with the paintings in it from the van. I rushed to a pay phone, called my dad and had him call my mom. They were just leaving the airport parking lot and could swing around and Mike could bring them as far into security as he could. The trick was getting the paintings but not to leave security. So I told a security guard my predicament. I told her that in a few minutes a tall skinny guy with glasses and a red shirt would be coming and I needed to get the paintings. She went and got them for me and put them through the x-ray and gave them to me. She was very nice.
My flight from Chicago to Houston was good. I arrived and met up with other people from my group and it was fun chatting and getting to know each other. I arrived in Houston 40 minutes before the scheduled time and left Houston over an hour later than we were supposed to. I really liked the flight to Mexico because I think we flew over Sabinas Hidalgo and I saw Monterrey from afar! I was really excited.
We arrived at the airport and went through customs and got on our bus. We didn’t arrive at our hotel until 2 a.m. I fell right to sleep.
We had to wake up early this morning, 8 a.m. We ate breakfast at the hotel and went to the archeology museum and to the plaza. We went through some of the original ruins of the Aztecas. We went through the government building and the cathedral. I’ve been to all of these places before and so it was nice to revisit places. But it was really nice to get to know the other students.
Here are some pictures from today. I broke down and bought a new camera. I just couldn’t stand the one I’ve had for the past two years anymore. I’m very happy with my purchase and I love the pictures!

Mexico City as we're arriving. The big black thing is a looming cloud.

This is at the anthropology museum. Olmec is NOT happy.

Here is an altar to Jesus with a box of cigarettes and a bottle of beer (circled in red).

I really like this part of Diego Riviera's mural. I like it because the pope is look on as the Mexican guy is walking and the Friar is like "indeed."

No comments:
Post a Comment