Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reflections on a summer project

I have worked a lot this summer on a project covering the Hispanic population of Galena. The project was half in English and half in Spanish and I’m very happy with the outcome. It was a lot of work, but in the end it seemed worth it. I’ve met a lot of good people and see a lot of great things. If you want to see a copy, you should go down to the Gazette office and get one!
I started the Hispanic project at the Gazette this summer with an optimistic view. I was going to speak my Spanish and get the untold story. I met many very nice people who spoke with me and trusted me enough to speak of the hardships from which they suffer.
One reason to leave Mexico is for economic opportunity. In Mexico it’s normal to work for $8-12 per day where in the United States they can earn between $8-12 per hour. The difference after an eight-hour, seven-day workweek is $56-84 per week in Mexico and $448-672 in the United States. I can’t imagine having to live on that. I would be fine living on $56-84 per week as long as I keep my living situation of not paying for insurance, housing, food, cell phone, car, gas and school.
Many Hispanics also have families and need to provide for them. Can $56-84 really pay for food, school, housing, and insurance for a four-person family? No. Sometimes that wage can be higher if both parents work. In the United States, most Hispanic men have two or three jobs and the wives have one job. With the money they earn, they can make ends meet, save a little, and send the remaining money to Mexico for their families there.
After the largest immigration raid in the United States happen in Postville, Iowa last May, I have had a greater respect for immigrants who seek a better life. Even though I don’t think the people in charge of the meet-packing factory in Postville are the best people, they were doing something even more illegal than hiring undocumented persons, they were also giving out fake green cards, which is also illegal to possess. Now, undocumented immigrants who were caught in the raid are being held in Postville, they aren’t in jail, they aren’t allowed to work, and they aren’t allowed to leave the country until their trail which finds them guilty of living in the United States undocumented and then they will be deported back to Mexico.
This is a problem in many ways. Most Hispanics depend on state aid for many things like insurance for their children or Public Aid when they have kids. Most, however, are able to put food on their table without the help of state aid. Now, immigrants living in Postville awaiting their trial for deportation are forced to rely on handouts given by the state and the people of the town.
For those who complain that Mexicans take jobs away from Americans, there are now 400 openings at the meatpacking factory in Postville, Iowa.
Moving to the United States not only brings economic opportunity to the people moving, but to their future family and their families back in Mexico. Having a birth certificate from the United States means a lot. That certificate gives them the right to Financial Aid when they decide to go to college, it entitles them to Social Security, it gives them an automatic step up than if born in a less developed country, which is most, compared to U.S. standards. The move is difficult, but rewarding in the long run. Life is 100% better in the United States if you are a poor, uneducated, unskilled person in Mexico.
A misconception people have is undocumented persons don’t pay taxes. Anyone who receives a paycheck is paying taxes. If an undocumented person gives a false Social Security Number and it’s accepted into the system, they are paying Social Security, they will never see that money again.
I wanted to be a pediatrician until I was about 12 and then I decided I didn’t really like blood and didn’t want to go to school for 12 years after high school. Then I wanted to be in public relations. I have been quite focused on that for eight years. In the beginning I wanted to do PR for a magazine and plan parties, meet celebrities, drink fine wine, and schmooze with people. More recently I’ve wanted to be involved with PR of non-profit organization. I’d probably want to do it on a national or international level. After this project, I’m thinking about legal advocacy. I don’t really have any interest (at all) in going to law school. I would like to work with Hispanics and try to make their status in the United States legal.
I would also like to teach English to immigrants. It’s necessary to speak English in the United States. It could lead to more economic opportunity. Learning English is a step up into work visas or citizenship that gives more rights to an individual. Some of the families I met have lived here for over five years, but don’t speak very much English. Why is that? Well, since many Hispanics have settled here, they never have to speak English and it’s scary to go outside of the comfort zone and speak English because it opens someone up for scrutiny for speaking incorrectly. I really advertised the free ESL classes offered and I hope they have high-class numbers this upcoming year.
I had some great experiences going to parties with the Hispanic population. I went to two parties that celebrate a girl’s 15th birthday, an 18th birthday party, and two baptism parties. I enjoyed taking pictures and feeling like I was in Mexico. I loved dancing to the Mexican music and the partner dancing, that isn’t as common in the United States. I loved eating the food and talking with the people. It reminded me exactly why I love Mexico, its traditions, and its culture. This population has a tight cultural identity, which is something that the United States had.
I also did a few interpreting gigs. I must say I’m not a very good interpreter. I hear and understand something, but don’t relay the message on to the other person. I’ll work on my interpreting skills.
I have made many great friends and look forward to seeing everyone when I’m home at Christmastime. I feel good about the work I did. I feel good about the finished product. I wish I could tell more and I wish Spanish-language articles could be an ongoing feature in the Gazette, but it’s easier said than done.

No comments: