Saturday, August 30, 2008

Frustrations in Mexico

For anyone who knows me really well, knows that I recycle...everything. I'm really anal about it and have little freak out sessions when people throw away bottles, cardboard, paper, and so on. It absolutely drives me up the wall. I'm the type of person who will save a bottle until I find a place to recycle it.
One of my first questions here at my host house was where can we recycle. The Señora said that they can't recycle. They separate things, but in the end the garbage men mix it together. At the university they have separate places for garbage and recycling, but no one respects what the signs say.
This is a problem for me. I can't recycle anywhere. Yesterday, I threw away cardboard and a plastic bottle. It almost killed me. I'm halfway tempted to mail recycling back to the United States or maybe take it all with me to Sabinas Hidalgo where they do have some sort of recycling system.
It is very frustrating for me to see as a bystander and visitor to this country the potential of a clean city. No one seems to care, garbage is thrown in the street, and cardboard and bottles are mixed in with that. My host mom is a chef and uses a lot of vegetables and fruits. She peels them and puts it in the garbage. How much more sustainable would it be if she composted it in her back yard. It would eventually decay into the ground making it lush or some poor, homeless, stray dog would come and eat it.
It makes me sad to be in a place where I don't trust the police. If I were alone and approached by someone, I wouldn't necessarily feel safe if a police man came over, chances are he'd want a payoff. It weirds me out that the police make inappropriate advances at me, just like strangers on the street. They whistle and and make kissey noises and yell things. At time I acknowledge these noises, but often times not.
When I'm here I see two things.
1) I see why people go to the United States to live. It's safe and you can trust the police and government. For the most part it's clean. For the most part, people try to recycle and clean up after themselves.
2) I see why people stay here. Guanajuato is a beautiful and historic. The center of town is mostly clean and it has its poor and its rich. It has a lot of cute cafés and restaurants. It has Chinese, Thai, Mexican, French, American, and German restaurants and anything you could ever want, you could probably get here. It's 5 hours from Mexico City and 6 hours from Puerto Vallarta. You can get anywhere by bus, and cost of living is a lot cheaper (someone I met here has a downtown apartment for $180 per month).
I love this country and would love to live here one day for an extended period of time. We'll see if that ever happens, and how I will go about it. I have issues with this country and would love to see its people have more economic prosperity and have a higher standard of living.

No comments: