Monday, September 01, 2008

I should have worn Red and Black

I have had an interesting couple of days here in Guanajuato. Friday Jessie and I did a whole lot of nothing. We made a trip into town and got some coffee and hung around. We didn't go out at night, instead we watched the movie Down with Love.
Saturday we had an early morning to go to the museums here in town. They were pretty gross. The first one we went to had a bunch of Mummies. Complete preserved bodies, some still had clothes and hair! Gross! They had mummified babies and most of them had their mouths open like the were horrified. Gross. It smelled funny and it made me queasy. I didn't take any pictures.
The second museum we went to is where they took prisoners and tortured them in the name of God. I went to this museum in November of 2006 when I went on a trip with the other exchange students. Now I see how much Spanish I didn't understand at the time or I just wasn't paying attention because I felt awful the entire trip (right after my hospitalization due to gastritus). I felt gross and creepy and icky after being in that museum this time. I felt pain for those who suffered, for those who were tortured because some guy was on a power trip in the name of God. It was eerie.
We also saw some mines, that was less interesting.

Emily, Kimberly, and me before heading into the mines.


After the museum tours Jessie and I stopped at a cup of coffee. I had a slight misunderstanding with the barrista.

Saturday night we went out and saw this band that played all types of international music. The singer was blind and had an opera voice. It was amazing.
Sunday I went to a professional soccer game in León, about 40 minutes from Guanajuato. They told us to wear green, and if we didn't have green, we could wear anything but black and red, the opponents' colors. When we arrived at the game I realized León was playing Monterrey. I hadn't put two and two together, of course Monterrey's colors are black and red. I felt like a traitor sitting with León fans because I feel as if I'm from Monterrey in Mexico. I really wished they would have won, but they lost to León 2-1.




Pictures during the soccer game.

Sunday night Jessie and I took it easy and watched another movie.
Monday I had my first day of classes. It went alright. I'm taking an intermediate Spanish class for which I am way advanced and a history class on Mexico and Peru. I like my Spanish Conversation professor and the History teacher who is a former French teacher and an artist.
The second day of classes went the same as before. I have bought my ticket to go to Monterrey and that's really exciting for me! This will be a very exciting four weeks in Mexico for me!

No comments: