It was 1 p.m. and I was aiming to catch a 3 p.m. bus from León. This is a little complicated because I need to take a taxi from downtown to the Guanajuato bus station which is about 15 minutes. Then, I need to take a bus from Guanajuato to León. This can take 40 minutes to an hour depending on how many stops we make. The bus leaves every 20 minutes, so if I just miss a bus, I have to wait another 20 minutes. So two hours seems like a lot of time, but it's really not. As the lady at the travel agency was writing out my ticket, she seemed to be taking her sweet old time.
So I left in a hurry, got on a bus to León in a hurry, and arrived 10 minutes before my bus left. The whole time I was under the impression that León to Durango was 8 hours by bus and if I left at 3 I would arrive at 11. The pleasant lady at the travel agency informed me that it was 10 hours to Durango and I wouldn't arrive until 1 or 1:30 a.m. The bus ride was O.K. I slept for about 45 minutes. I watched movies. They didn't have the greatest movies playing and I listened to my iPod a lot. We stopped a lot to pick up people in the bigger cities like Aguascalientes and Zacatecas.
I called Israel right before I got on the bus and told him I wouldn't be there until 1 a.m. At about 10 p.m. I started to see a lot of signs for Durango. This made me nervous because why would there be so many signs for Durango if were were still 3 hours away. Funny story, we were going to get there at 11. I had to quick call Israel and hope he hadn't decided to go out for a little while and just go to the bus station at 1. Luckily, he answered and he was there at 11 when I arrived.
We took a taxi back to his apartment which is located right near downtown. I met his roommate and we went out for tacos. They were probably the greasiest tacos and quesadillas I have ever had in my life, but they were good.
Saturday Israel had to teach his English classes from 9-12. I went with him and hung out with one of his co-workers because his 9-12 class didn't show up.
After his class was over, Israel and I went out to eat at this cute little garden place. It was good, but best of all it was fun to just talk. We went to a park and then had ice cream. We also went to a museum about the history of Durango.
We decided to go to the mall and find a new outfit for me. My wardrobe is pretty pathetic. I haven't bought a new pair of jeans since I was in high school. They fit perfectly, but they are ripped and ratty, but the point is, they fit me perfectly. I bought a new pair of shoes and a pair of jeans.
I have wanted to go to the movie theatre since I got here so since we were at the mall and there was a movie theatre Israel and I saw Mama Mia! We were pretty obnoxious in the theatre, I regret to say that we sang (me pretty badly, Israel has a good voice) and did a little seat dancing. It was good, strangely enough the whole movie reminded me of my mom with the random bursting into song.
We got ready to go out to, as what Israel says, a "VIP club." We met up with his friends and danced and had a jolly old time.

Israel and me

I'm in the middle of this photo. This is at the "VIP club."
Sunday we woke up late, ate breakfast, and then Israel and I sat in his living room and talked about his life in Durango, what people from Galena were up to, and how he and I have both changed over the past four years. At 5 we decided to go get ice cream, because I LOVE ice cream. Then we walked around the down town area and saw a small exhibit about Durango.
Sunday night I had my first Mexican hamburger. I'm not a huge fan of hamburgers so I didn't really know the difference between American and Mexican hamburgers.
Mexican Hamburgers have....
Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup
hamburger patty
slice of ham
slice of beacon
slice of pineapple
tomato
onion
chile
lettuce
It was interesting, I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of it. Each place in Mexico is known for a food. For example, Guanajuato is known for gorditas, another northern state is known for fried tacos, and Durango is known for hamburgers. I found that interesting.
I left on an 11:30 p.m. bus to arrive in León at 7:30 a.m. My plan was to quick catch a bus to Guanajuato and then take a taxi to school and be there by 9. My plans changed a bit. I took two Nyquill when I got on the bus so I could sleep. I didn't sleep very well. I couldn't get comfortable and it was hot and at times there were lights. A few times I woke up and thought, WE ARE FLYING on this road. I went back to sleep and then the next thing I knew the bus lights were turned on and the bus driver said we had arrived in León. I opened my very dry eyes and looked at my watch that read 6 a.m. I think we really did fly back.
I caught a bus right away to Guanajuato, then took a taxi to the house and got to take a half-hour nap before I had to eat breakfast.
I was really tired the whole day at school, but it was worth it. I had a great time.
I was really impressed with Israel. His life is full of good people, friends, and work. He left Galena and did what he said he was going to do. I admire that.

1 comment:
Oh hey Jane.
I like your blog.
Also I like that you link to me.
:) :) :)
Post a Comment