I try not to cry during movies. I think it is absolutely pointless. There is one movie, however, that can get me everytime and it is Stepmom. Every time I see this movie I cry through the entire thing. It is actually really annoying. Throughout this entire movie there is the concept of death. You think this scene is going to turn out ok, but it is not becase she will die. It is all a build up to an ending that is not satisfactory.
Another move like this is P.S. I Love You. The husband dies. We know he dies before the movie even starts and it happens in the second scene in the movie. The whole movie the story goes back and forth with flashbacks and everytime you think that she will be ok, she remembers that she is alone. Her friend is getting married. She is alone. Her other friend is pregnant. She will not have a baby soon because she is alone because her husband died. She is constantly reminded that he is not there because he left her notes and something to hold on to. A constant reminder that he is not there. I bring this up because I remember watching this movie and crying. A lot. I bawled though this entire movie along with my buddies Sarahnolium and Sarah Carlson. It was awful.
You know, now that I think abouty it anther movie that hovers over death is Raise Your Voice with Hillary Duff. I am not a big fan of Hillary Duff or her movies I watched this movie without knowning what it was. Hillary's brother dies in one of the first scenes. She's a singer and she decides to stop singing because she no longer has a reason to sing. She goes to this really good music school or camp to learn more about singing, but her heart isn't in it because her brother is there. I went to see this movie one night when I was babysitting. The little girl's mom called me at the last minute desparate for someone on a Friday night. She gamve me money and told me to do whatever we wanted. The little girl wanted to go to the movies. So we went to the movies. She wanted to see Raise Your Voice. I asked her what it was about and she said she didn't know, but Hillary Duff was in it. Point being, I came out of the theatre never wanting to see the movie again. I don't like things that hover over death. Then when I had a lazy afternoon in Mexico about two years later, one of my friends asked me if I wanted to watch this movie with a title in Spanish that I didn't recognize. I agreed, I sat down and, to be truthful, kind of groaned when I saw what movie it was. I was going to watch a movie I had vowed never to see again.
I don't like these movies-although technically, I like the movie Stepmom, just not the death part, which is ironic, because it's almost what the entire movie is about. I'll try harder not to watch them again.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment