Monday, September 08, 2008

San Luis Potosi!

So, I bought the most awesome thing today. I probably would have loved it way more about eight years ago, but I couldn't beat the price and it was so me, I had to buy it. Are you ready??? An *NSYNC sticker. A big one with Joey, Justin, J.C., Chris, and Lance. I paid 3 pesos (30 cents) for it and it was well spent. I need to find a great place to display this fine sticker.
I spent last weekend in San Luis Potosi visiting some friends and Jessie came along. It was a nice, relaxing trip. We finished classes on Friday and took a taxi to the bus station in Guanajuato. Then we took a bus to Leon and caught a bus to San Luis Potosi. It took about three hours. When we arrived we had to wait for Monica to come and pick us up. She came about an hour after we arrived. I'm happy she recognized me because I wouldn't have recognized her right away, her hair is much darker than I remember. Anyway, we went to her house and talked and saw her husband Carlos and her daughter who is also Monica. Then the son, who is also Carlos, came. It was exciting to see him.
That night, we went to the fair. It's a fair that goes on for three weeks and this was the last weekend so it was pretty full. We went with Carlos and Carlos's boss, they work at a car dealership, and his wife and son. We met up with family friends of theirs. It was really good food. Just when Jessie and I thought we were done eating and we put one plate on top of the other, more food came. So we got new plates and more food.


The restaurant gave us big knives to cut the meat.

The plan was to walk around the fair for a little while after dinner and then Carlos would come and pick us up as Carlos (the son) and the family friends went to a concert. It started to rain, so Carlos came and picked us up right away.
Saturday was a really lazy day. It was awesome since we have to wake up at 7:30 a.m. every day for school. We slept until 11 and had breakfast consisting of fruit and (the best part) milk from the United States and cereal. Mexican milk is very different and I don't really like it. In San Luis Potosi (and many big cities in north-eastern Mexico) have a store called HEB that sells many products from the United States. Point being, it was delicious.
We lounged around, went on the internet, watched T.V. and then Monica came home and we had lunch. It was delicious. Then Jessie and I went to the center of town and walked around, got coffee, and shopped. Something I've noticed about San Luis Potosi is that it is much cleaner than Guanajuato. There are lots of signs that say take care of the city and don't litter. Monica also told me that recycling is really emphasized there. (I recently learned that recycling does exist in Guanajuato and I've seen people walking around with bags of plastic bottles and broken-down cardboard boxes.) Many parts of Guanajuato smell, and not good, while I found San Luis Potosi to have fewer places where it smells bad.
At night Carlos (the son) took us out for drinks and tacos. Yet again, delicious.


Jessie, Carlos, and Me

Sunday I woke up around 9:30 and I was the only one up. As it turns out, Monica and Carlos went out after we went out last night. Meaning they also came home after us (about 2-1/2 hours after us) and so they were still sleeping. Eventually they woke up and we had breakfast (cereal again!)


Monica, Little Monica, Carlos, and Me

We decided to take a different bus route back to Guanajuato. This time we'd go direct. Theoretically this is a good idea. In reality, not so much. When we went to San Luis Potosi it cost $3 to take a taxi from the center to the bus station, then $4 from the Guanajuato bus station to the Leon bus station (47 KM) then the bus was $15 from there to San Luis Potosi, but we came back about 40 of those 47KM to get on the highway to San Luis Potosi. There was a bus from SLP directly to Guanajuato, but this time it wouldn't be first class meaning no TV/Movies and the seats aren't as comfortable. But it cost $15, so it would be cheaper and possibly quicker. WRONG!
The bus stopped often and it took us over 5 hours to get to the bus station in Guanajuato. So, next bus trip I go on, we will be going first class and directly. It doesn't cost a lot more and it's easier.
My second week of classes has started and all is going well. I'm preparing for my Thursday departure to Monterrey! This next weekend is a long day for the Mexican Independence Day.

No comments: