Monday, March 02, 2009

Last days in Argentina!

I'm sorry this has taken forever for me to write. I will try to do better in the future.

As in every country, ISA gave us a going away meal. This was at a nice restaurant. The food was O.K. but the company was very good.
After lunch, I had to go back to the Hospital Alemán to get some more paperwork to bring back to the states. I decided to take the bus because the subway system was having problems that day. Jessie told me to take bus number 55 and Teryn was taking the same bus. She got off the bus and it turned. It was going the wrong direction. I stayed on the bus for a little while before I decided it was best to get off and work my way back to the main road. I didn't want to end up in an area of Buenos Aires I didn't know.
I walked all the way to a subway stop (7 blocks) and took my chances. The subway was running, just less frequently; this means a lot of people on every train. I got there just fine, not too crowded. I entered the hospital and my directions were to go to the first floor and ask for Liliana Primavera. I did as I was told (as I always do!).
I asked for her and I was at the wrong place. She was down the hall and to the left.
I asked for her there and she was down another hall and to the right.
I asked for her there and she was at the desk at the bottom of the stairs.
I asked for her there and she was in the office down the hall a little ways.
I go to the office and I'm at the right place, but she's not there.
This is roughly the conversation with the lady there. (M=me and L=Lady)
M-"I'm here to pick up papers from my surgery"
L-"What is your name?"
M-"Jane Newton"
L-"On what did you have surgery?"
M-"Ovarian Cyst"
(She is looking over Liliana's desk (not actively, just scanning) and can't find the papers)
L-"Liliana may or may not be back and I can't find the papers. You'll have to come back Monday."
M-"I can't, I'm leaving on Sunday."
L-"I won't look through her desk to find anything."
M-"I need these papers and I can't leave without them."
L-"I can't do anything for you."
M-"Well, my doctor told me to come here and get them before I leave. It's important my doctor in the United States see them."
L-"Well, I can't do anything for you."
M-"But my doctor said the papers would be here and I need them."
L-"Who is your doctor?"
M-"Juan Paris"
L-"Let me go get him!"
And she paged him and he came within minutes! I guess it pays to know people in high places. He came and looked on Liliana's desk, found the papers right away and gave them to me. What a guy!


The entrance to the operating room!

The papers actually involved a video of my surgery! Isn't that cool! It's the best souvenir ever!
I stopped at a corner store to buy some little chocolates and a card on my way home. I asked how much everything was. He told me 7.50 pesos. I gave him 7 and left. He didn't say a word to me.
When I was long gone, I realized I didn't give him enough money! I felt terrible!
The subway ride home was also interesting. It was a lot busier than before because everyone was getting off work. When it stopped and the doors opened it was jam packed and I just looked in. The people were very inviting and told me to come in. So I packed it in some more! (Remember, it's summer there, so very hot and sweaty and smelly!) I felt like I was going to fall over, so someone held me up for about 10 minutes until I got off.
That night, I took my host mom out for a nice dinner. She did so much for me while I was sick. She went above and beyond what she had to do. She came to the hospital (something that the host parents aren't required to do) and made me delicious, healthy post-surgery food. We went to the same place where we celebrated Thanksgiving Dinner. She and I got all dressed up and went out. We walked across a 10 lane highway. It was really scary!


This is my delicious dessert and me. I ate every bite.


My host mom, Elizabeth, and me at the restaurant.

I spent all day Saturday getting ready to leave. I went to the book store, drank coffee, caught up in my journal, met up with some friends for lunch and ice cream. I watched my surgery video. (Amazingly disgusting!) In the early evening I said goodbye to all of my friends with whom I spent the last semester. It was sad to leave them, they were the only people I saw for 4 months!
That night my host mom made pizza and I finished packing my bags. My taxi ride came at 4:30.

No comments: