School has been pretty uneventful. Lieke and I have become very giggly and I think this annoys a lot of people. Mostly the teachers because I think they are afraid to tell us to stop because we won't' understand them. We are very quiet when we giggle but it makes other kids in the class giggle, too. On Tuesday a girl in my class threw a piece of paper at me so being the immature person that I am, I threw it back, but it hit another girl in the head, which made me giggle a lot. I usually have to cover my face with a book so it kind of hides me. But so I guess that's been fun. On Wednesday we had Philosophy and I've been in the class for 7 weeks and still nothing. So, Lieke asks me, "Is this philosophy?" Which resulted in more laughing. At least I knew it was philosophy.
Funny story: The kids here don't get anything from the English classes. Most of them don't understand anything. So the other day there was a story in the English book that used the word quarantined, seize, and anecdote. The teacher had to ask me what those words meant. So I told here...anyway. The story was about a family in Scotland in 1914 that wanted to come to the United States. They didn't have much money so they saved and saved and saved their money. Finally they had enough money to go so they made plans to leave. A week before they were supposed to leave their son was bitten by a dog. He got very sick and they called the doctor. The doctor came and had to put a yellow sheet on their door. Everyone was quarantined to the house because the little boy had rabies. The family could no longer leave for the US in a week. Everyone was very disappointed. A few weeks later they heard the tragic news about the Titanic sinking. The Titanic was their transportation to the United States. When the parents found out about this, they went into the little boy's room and gave him a hug and a kiss and thanked him for saving the family.
I said, "Que una historia muy terrible!" (What a terrible story) And no one understood it except Lieke, the teacher and me. But yeah, pretty weird.
Then there's this guy named Winny at school. His real name is Rogelio but everyone calls him Winny because he kind of looks like Whinnie the Pooh. Anyway, for the past 7 weeks he's been calling me "James" I finally told him yesterday that my name was "Jane, not James" and so now he thinks it's a big joke to call me "James." Pretty soon I will tell him that if I had been a boy, my name would have been James.
I made peanut butter cookies for my class on Thursday and when I started to pass them out, everyone clapped for me. I guess they do like me.
I went around and around and around last night and then to a party that was pretty boring. So my night was pretty uneventful but it was okay.
Today, I'm catching up with my Journal and this and I might paint a little. Tonight I will go around and around and around.
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You really are turning into quite the little bakery chef. Though I agree that cookies are the best way to make friends. InterVarsity Christian Fellowship did that to us. A girl came around handing out homebaked cookies (choc. chip and pb) anyway, we all went to the event that night....haha.
Don't worry though, Grandma Shirley still makes the best cookies. ever. now i'm homesick....or at least, cookies sick.
I'll tell her you said that, Mike!
Jane, I'm still waiting for your snail mail address, or is on here somewhere?
My snail mail address was like the second post made. It's the one for Laredo, Tx. That's the for sure way I'll get it. My aunt sent me letters and they took 1 month to get here...
And yes, Grandma Shirley makes the best cookies.
Post a Comment