Monday, September 25, 2006

She was blonde and cute like me

Well, my weekend was interesting. Friday night was very very very uneventful. We went around and around and around for like 2 1/2 hours and then went to a party. I usually sleep on Friday and Saturday afternoons so I can stay up late. Well, I didn't get to take a nap on Friday so I was very very tired and luckily we went home at 1 instead of 2:30.
The dog awakened me on Saturday morning at 9. All I wanted to do was sleep and Paluzo would not hear of it. So I got up and read and painted and stuff. I made Tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch, but I burned the soup. I was really mad. But luckily they have Campbell’s Tomate Sopa (Crema) here. It tastes a little different than the Tomato soup from the US but I liked it. The grilled cheese was a little burned too. But I had it all on medium heat. My family just got a new stove (everything is gas here by the way) and so a medium setting is like high and so next time I do something, it will be on low heat.
I went out Saturday night with the Candies. We went around and around and around for 2 1/2 hours again. I felt something crawling on my back and I was terrified to find out what it was so I flicked it off and screamed. And we stopped the car and looked around and we couldn't find the bug that was on me. They told me I was imagining things. So I got back in the car despite my better judgment knowing that there was still that creepy crawly bug in the car. So no more than two minutes later this big, black bug is on my arm. (These bugs are huge. This town has so many bugs; it's not even funny. And these black ones smell when you kill them and they are HUGE. It's like, I don't know, I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll take a pic of one and post it later.) So I screamed again flicked it off and Mariana pulled over again. I got out of the car and she looked and found nothing. She told me I was imagining things again and told me to get back in the car. So I said "NO!" that bug was still in there. So I was looking again and was just about to give up (it's dark, with a black car interior and a black bug, not that easy) and I saw it on the door. So I opened the door, let the gigantic bug out and we were on our way. Later we went to a party and I met this guy named Orlando and he was very eager. He introduced himself, I said Hi we started to make small talk. He asked, "Do you love Sabinas?" I have always said I like Sabinas a lot. Never said the word love, it's a bit strong but I said. "Yes, I Love Sabinas." Then, he came up with, "Good, because I love you." Which is probably the corniest pick-up line I have heard personally. We kept on talking, he liked my blonde hair and told me stories of his first girlfriend (who also happened to be cute and blonde like me) and he lived in Kalamazoo, MI. So we talked for a while. It was a little weird. He was also 23 and 5'4'' (I'm 5'7'') I told him unfortunately I didn't think it would work out between him and me. I hope he wasn't too devastated.


This is Alonso. He's from Laredo and comes to Sabinas on the weekends.

Saturday night when I got home, I got ready for bed and I wanted to make sure that Paluzo wouldn’t awaken me the next morning. So I made sure both doors to my room were shut (One door leads to the hall, the other leads to the bathroom that connects my room to Melina's. But that door doesn't shut all the way. But I didn't think that would batter because Melina's door was shut and Paluzo wasn't in Melina's room he was in my host parent's bedroom) So, at 8:30 in the morning Paluzo is in my room, scratching and crying at the door that leads to the hall. The door to the bathroom was open. I was like dumb dog go out the door you came in. He didn't understand because he doesn't know English. And it was too early to think of what to tell him in Spanish. Needless to say, I was up. So next weekend, I will find a way to completely dog-proof my room so that I will not be disturbed in my hours of rest.
Sunday after church my family went to Bustamente to have lunch and to show me around a little. Bustamente grows nuts, like pecans, and they make a sweet candy from them. We ate lunch at this house/restaurant/shop/hotel place. It was a very cute town with narrow streets.


This is Melina in the back yard type place of the restaurant.

We went to the Ojo de Agua (Eye of Water) which is like a big park in a canyon. It has a river that has made 7 natural pools in the park.


This is us in a tree. We had an interesting time getting up and down.

After we got back from Bustamente we went straight to Martin's parent's house. There, Melina asked me if I wanted coffee. I said yes. Then she asked me if I wanted sugar. I said yes. She came out with my coffee and it was the bitterest coffee I have ever tasted in my entire life. Evidently, she doesn't know the difference between salt and sugar. Then my host mom made me another cup. I told Melina she couldn't make me coffee again.

Today at school was interesting. There was sex education for some students today. I only got to see part of it. The part about gonorrhea, I giggled a little. That's about it.

1 comment:

Mike said...

That reminds me of the good old days in Freed's Health class. haha. remember the weird backward high 5. Wow we were productive...