
Here I am at the plaza...
Saturday was a lot of fun but very very very very very very hot. It was about 40º (105ºF). There was a big parade in Sabainas. It's about 12 blocks long (long blocks) and Lieke and I had to walk in it with the Rotary Float. We were wearing jeans and our rotary blazer. Did I mention it was really hot? And the sun was beating on our faces for a majority of the parade but people clapped for us and that was cool and I waved and smiled. I carried the US flag and Leike carried the Holland flag. The parade was about two and a half hours long. Did I mention it was hot? But I was introduced as Señorita Jane Newton (it's cooler to hear it with a Mexican accent). Then the Rotary had a taco/hamberger stand that I helped with for a while before going home and taking a nap. Being hot and walking really makes you tired.

Saturday night I went to the disco. We went around and around and around for two hours before going to the disco. The band was called "El Plan" and they rocked. The two downsides of the night was some guy threw up next to me, which made me want to throw up and my shoe broke. But it was a lot of fun.
Today we went to the family ranch where we just chilled all afternoon. We ate carne asada (meat) and that was about it. I was fun because the weather was nice, it wasn't as hot as yesterday and there was a storm coming in so it was windy.

This is my 8 year old brother driving into the Ranch.

This is the living room/hall area of the Ranch

I made salsa verde
When we got home I made French Toast. My family really likes it a lot. I think I'll be making that a lot this year.
Monday I went to Laredo with my host mom, grandma and Leike. We went to the post office, to the mall, target and grocery shopping. That was a lot of fun. My class keeps asking me for more cookies so I bought cookie supplies, Swirl Bar supplies and Scotcheroo supplies. MMMMMMMM, I may be 50 pounds heavier when I come back...I hope not, but if I keep making sweets it could happen.
Oh the gigantic thing of peanut butter that was posted last week, well. We finished that tub in 19 days. And so in Laredo we bought 2 tubs, just in case!

1 comment:
Alright, Jane, you officially get the prize for the longest letter I have ever received! I carried it around in my purse for the better part of the past week and read it on the subway and buses. I laughed right out loud in several parts, which resulted in more then the usual stares. What adventures you've had since the last time I saw you! Thanks for keeping me updated. I haven't looked at the DVD yet, and I'm saving the plantains for a special occasion. I LOVE plantains. I drive my Puerto Rican relatives crazy every time they visit, begging them to cook plantains for me. So thank you! And send me your snail mail address when you have a chance.
Post a Comment