Tuesday, August 22, 2006

El Perro no sabe inglés

I decided the other day that I would try and befriend the family dog who doesn't like me. He's very skiddish and I guess he really doesn't like people. So I got down on the floor and said, "come here" in a sweet and endearing voice and he just stood there. Than I said "Sit" and yet again, he just stood there. Then I realized that the dog doesn't know English. So I think that I will make it my goal before I leave my first host family in January to teach the dog to be bilingüal.
I started a dance/aerobics class last night. It was a lot of fun. Leike is in the class too. So we're the tall blonde's and everyone laughs at how un-coordinated we are. But the instructor reminds me of this guy named Lonnie (he leads the New York trips I've been on) and so that was cool. So these classes are Monday-Thursday from 8-9 p.m. and $5 a month. It's crazy cheap!
I woke up at 5:30 this morning to wish my grandpa a happy birthday (and the first one to do so) only to find out I can't get through due to caller ID. So the 5:30 gesture should be noted and appreciated! Because I was crazy tired during school today. I couldn't even enjoy my amigo Oedi! (Oh, by the way Mike, she had her baby and she named it Weston. So not quite Oedi, but maybe the next one) and I had 50 minutes of physical activity in my first official class of P.E. acutally I was pretty good, they even asked me to play on a soccer team or something. I found that rather impressive. Plus, they called me athletic, which I've never been called before. (Oh with the exception of a few years in basketball and my mom saw a picture of me and said, "Jane, you look tall, thin, and athletic in this picture. It doesn't look anything like you.") I was only mildly insulted when my mom said it but my classmates meant it, which really makes me laugh and probably makes my mom laugh too.
After P.E. all the girls could sign up to dance in the Revolution parade in November. I had no idea what I was signing up for, so I asked. They told me dancing. "What kind of dancing?" I asked. And in unison the boys said "Table Dancing." I looked at them, not entirely sure how to respond, so I laughed, because they weren't laughing. So then everyone laughed. Then a girl told me Regeton dancing. I'm probably really bad at it, but I guess I can make a fool out of myself.
Well, I'm tired and I'm going to take a nap. Have a nice DAY.

8 comments:

E.M. Herbert said...

You're good at belly dancing, so I bet you'll be good at Regeton dancing too.

Jane Newton said...

Thanks, I had fogotten about that. You're pretty good at dancing with a Swiffer.

Mike said...

Umm... I know I might be the only person in the States who's ever SEEN you regaeton and/or merengue, so I should remind you: Remember Monica. No rapidly pounding your hips with your fists. haha. i'm sure you'll do great, or at least be entertaining. table dancing. lol.

adventures in Deutschland! said...

mike, i also have witnessed jane dancing to regaeton and merengue music. i bet when she gets back she'll be able to show monica how it's done. ;)

adventures in Deutschland! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jane Newton said...

5:45. Man, that sucks. I thought it was bad enough to wake up at 5:30 to call Grandpa and not get an answer. That was an unfulfilling day. Then I find out I wasn't the first one. Man, that day was absolutely pointless! But good luck with the early mornings. I have to get up at 6 everyday for school, and that's getting old pretty fast. But yeah, so go to bed really early. maybe that will work.

Mike said...

Britney!! are you still in the states? i thought you left last week? ...such fond memories of jane dancing...and the puerto ricans laughing at all of us.

E.M. Herbert said...

Hi Jane. To add to your Aunt Mary's list of people who are reading your site, I printed everything to date for my grandma and mailed it to her . . . from Korea!