
This is Jesús, he's in my grade. He can do this amazing thing and inflate his stomach with air. (Mr. Holland would be very very impressed.)

Then I tried to get him to do the pleasure chest while inflating his stomach and he wouldn't do it, he was being moody and I told him not to be so moody.

Then, he did it.
My nights have been pretty cool though.
Wednesday I went Melina's best friend's house where my host mom had a meeting with two other women. One of which is my 3rd host family. Anyway. There were 3 girls at the age of 11 there so we decided to play a game so we settled on Scrabble. We decided to play scrabble in Spanglish, with both English and Spanish words. It worked out pretty well, I won but I don't think the other girls were really into it. But I never win at Scrabble, so I was happy with myself. That night we got to go to aerobics, which is always enjoyable.

His was our Spanglish scrabble board. The girl in the middle will be my 3rd host family.
Thursday night the governor of this Rotary district came and so we had a meeting of the wives of the Rotary at 4 at a restaurant with the wife of the governor, where we ate. It was crazy hot 40ºC and I was wearing my jeans, a lonsleeveded white shirt and my Rotary jacket. We left the restaurant at 6:30 and my mom took me to the store for peanut butter (because I cleaned us out again) and then at 8 we went to a different restaurant to meet all the men and the governor of the district. We were supposed to eat at 9 but everybody just casually came in and at 9:30 we started the meeting and we didn't eat until 10. I didn't get home until 11:30. It was a nice night. It was cool to meet the governor, he was a really nice guy.

This is at the dinner with the governor. Adolfo is in the middle he will be spending this year in New York.

From left: The president of the Sabinas Rotary Club and his wife, me, Leike, the governor's wife, the governor, AnalauraLeike's's host mom and Adolfo's mom, she's the secretary) and Adolfo.
Friday was pretty insane. After school I, of course, took a nap and when I woke up I had to get ready for my first every quinceanera party. (A quinceanera is this massive party when a Mexican girl turns 15. It's like a wedding reception. All girls get the option to have a party, a brand new car, or go on a trip when they are 15. The trips are sweet too. One girl took a 20 day cruise in the Mediterranean and another spent 40 days in Europe.) I wore a jean skirt and a colorful top and then flip flops, then my mom had me change out of my flip flops into these cute, yetuncomfortablele shoes. Everyone would be wearing shoes like this. So anyway. This party was like no other. There were tons of people from my school and it was cool.

This is about 1/4 of the disco that the party took place in.
The girl has 15 (I think) boys that she chooses to be her attendants and they have 3 choreographed danced that they do: an entrance, a formal dance, and then a hip-hop/regeton dance. Then they hire professional dancers to do this wickedly awesome dance by themselves and then a dance with the birthday girl. Then after that's all over everyone dances and has a good time. I was with the Candies last night and they left right as all the people started to dance for my friend Vinka's 17th birthday party. When we arrived at Vinka's party there were only 10 girls there because everyone was still at the other party. So we left Vinka's to go back to the quinceanera. By that time it was 11:30 and I hadn't eaten since 2. So I was really hungry and they had just finished serving people. So back at the party I got to meet the professional dancers (they're over the age of 16!) and I saw a few other guys I met my first night here (they're also over 16!, finally people my age!) We danced a lot and I heard the songs Achy Braky Heart (I don't know how to spell that) and You'll be in my Heart (by Phil Collins) both in Spanish. Then they played like a mix of 50s/60s/70s music including Staying Alive and the YMCA (Mom, no singing).
The party was raided by the police at like 1:30 and I'm not entirely sure why. So we left the party to wait for Aniahi to pick us back up (because she drove and left to go see her boyfriend) after waiting for an hour we decided to call her and she was asleep in her bed. Getting a ride home wasn't a problem because there were a lot of people going around and around and around. The problem was that my cell phone (yeah! I got a cell phone last week! Isn't that cool) and the keys to my house were in my purse and I left my purse in her car so I wouldn't have to carry it around all night. So we got a ride to Aniahi's house, got my purse and I was safe and sound in my house by 3 a.m.

After waiting around for my purse, I was extremely happy to have it at 3 a.m. This is my friend Mariana. She's wearing a sombrero.
I made French Toast again this morning. It was a hit (well, I liked it).

See, I can cook...
Today I think I'm going to go bowling which is awesome and tonight there is a party for Adolfo who will be a Rotary Exchange Student in New York. Leike lives with his family. Adolfo leaves on Tuesday.
Sorry for the 4 day no update. I'm truly sorry. Oh and, the dog will have nothing to do with learning a new language.

3 comments:
Glad life is going well. I got a new cell phone too. it's sprint and a nice cameraphone, so it is only a matter of time until i mess it up. Good luck with everything (especially the dog).
Well, mike. I need your new number and it better be as easy as your last number to learn. Yeah, I'm going to try with the dog, I just don't think he's interested.
Hola myfavoriteaunt. I will ask Mariana next weekend is she has an alternate life in Chicago. I'll get back to you with the response. And on Monday, I will tell Jesús that myfavoriteaunt wants to see a picture of his stomach. It might give him a cabezón (a big head).
Okay, I have to ask. How does he deflate it?
Post a Comment