Sunday, August 20, 2006

Ohhhhhh, Boys

Well, my Friday night trip of going around and around and around turned out to be very disappointing. First of all, they were supposed to pick me up at 9. They came at 10:15. And we didn't go around and around and around we just went around. We stopped at a party, stayed in the car then left and continued to go around. We stopped at the same party again a 1/2 hour later, got out of the car, walked up to the house, then turned around went back to the car then went around some more before they dropped me off at midnight. But I was still hungry so Melina and I went to the taco place a block away and had tacos. They were good.
On Saturday afternoon I went with the Bratz to go swimming and they just wanted to lay out and get tan. But I can't do that because I'll get burned so I stayed in the shade in the pool trying to hear their conversations, but it didn't work very well. I came home at 6:30 and at 8 the Candies (this is Mariel's group of friends, so I'm 1/3 Cherry, 1/3 Bratz, and 1/3 Candy) and we went around and around and around. I had an incident as I was walking from one car to another. As I was walking, this little boy (around 7 or so) says, "Quien" (Who is that) and one of my friend says "That's Jane, she knows English, talk to her in English" and the little boy says, "Oh, I like her." Then, I said, "great, I'm being hit on by a 7 year old."
Later on as we were going around and around and around we picked up like 6 15-year-olds to go around and around and around with us. They ask "How old are you?" and I say "18" then "Do you have a boyfriend?" and I say "No." These are the 2 questions I get asked EVERYWHERE. They are the most frequently asked questions on top of "Where are you from?" 60% of the girls here have boyfriends and are shocked to find out that I'm 18 years old and don't have a boyfrien. About 20% of the girls are married by the time they are 18 and if you're married after the age of 20 you're an old bird. Anyway, everybody is shocked that I don't have a boyfriend. Then they try to set me up with people, but my friends are 16 and all the boys they know are 16(because that's how old you are your last year of high school) I say I'm not really interested in going out with anyone now. They ask why, why don't you want a boyfriend? Everyone wants a boyfried. And that's about the extend of my Spanish to explain that I don't want a boyfriend. Anyway...
Sunday morning I made French Toast for my family and it was a hit. I think everyone liked it. (See Mom, I can cook!) and we went to church and after church we went out to eat. While we were eating, my host dad says "You a likea the boys in Sabinas?) his English is pretty much non-existant and I said "No comment" Then I had to explain that I'm 18 and all the boys I know are 16. And he said that he'll introduce me to some guys that are more my age including the son of his cousin (and I thought, Great, I'm going to get set up by my host dad. What is the world coming to?)...so I think this whole boyfried thing is a circle of no one really cares that I don't want a boyfried...and I think it's everyone's mission here to find me a boyfriend...we'll see what happens.
I have school tomorrow and so yeah, but most everyone is starting school tomorrow. Summer is officially over!

6 comments:

Mike said...

I'm noticing similarities with your last post and certain stories Ellen told about her trip to the Phillipines. You can always just show them TK's pic. on your laptop...miss you and best of luck, i leave wed. at 6 in the morning.

E.M. Herbert said...

Hi Jane! I get those two questions an awful lot, too. I don't know about Mexico, but in Korea, age is very important in determining a person's status and how someone relates to someone else. It's an interesting part of the culture, and they measure age differently here. Essentially, Koreans consider a person to be one year older than we in the US consider them. So maybe there's a cultural element to the age question for you too. As for the boyfriend question, I'd say that's definitely cultural. It seems that the idea of an independent single woman just doesn't make sense to a whole lot of people in the world. If you really don't want to be set up on dates, you may have to be pretty direct about it (take that advice from a pro!). The line "My father doesn't allow it" can be handy. Wish I had thought of that in the Philippines! ;)

Jane Newton said...

I forgot about Ellen's numptuals in the Phillipines. LOL, that's funny. It's cultural. They don't get what I do at home if I don't have a boyfriend and I don't go around and around and around. My life seems really boring to these people. Well, they could be right. Maybe I'll try that "My father doesn't allow it" I'll have to look that up in the dictionary. but I haven't gotten any REAL offers yet, they only talk about it. So I'll just see where it goes.

E.M. Herbert said...

If "my father doesn't allow it" isn't strong enough, try "my father forbids it."

I met a young, female missionary to Africa who encountered these situations so much that she took along a letter signed by her father saying she couldn't get married in Africa. Maybe that's a little over the top, but it worked for her!

Mike said...

Well, your new friends might have a point about our lives up here being slightly boring. But we have fun. watching the real world for a whole friday night. ah, good memories...

E.M. Herbert said...

Hi Carter. Fathers to the rescue in times of crisis, I say!